This Page

has been moved to new address

Hypertension (High Blood Pressure) - The Silent Killer

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Older Mommy Still Yummy: Hypertension (High Blood Pressure) - The Silent Killer

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Hypertension (High Blood Pressure) - The Silent Killer


Myth 1:
If my blood pressure were high, I would be able to feel it.


High blood pressure is often referred to as the “silent killer” because there are usually no symptoms. Some people may think that if their heart rate (number of times your heart beats per minute) is normal, this means their blood pressure is, too. But how fast your heart beats is not necessarily an indication of how high your blood pressure is. The only way to find out if you have high blood pressure is to get your blood pressure checked by your doctor or other qualified healthcare provider. Know your blood pressure readings and find out how often you should have it checked.


(Next week - Myth # 2)


I obtained the information contained in this post from  -



Disclaimer - 
The material provided on this site is designed for information and educational purposes only. The materials are not intended to be a self diagnostic and/or self treatment tool. I encourage you to use this information as a tool for discussing your condition with your health practitioner
.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

At July 6, 2011 at 12:31 AM , Blogger Pondside said...

My husband suffered an aortal dissection in January - ascending and descending. He survived through a series of fortunate events - not many survive. High blood pressure MUST be treated. I urge everyone to have a test - it's so easy and non-invasive and only takes minutes.

 
At July 6, 2011 at 12:44 AM , Blogger Monica said...

@Pondside, wow, as an OR nurse I can tell you that your husband is very fortunate to have survived...the stars must have aligned perfectly!
Thanks for sharing your story, it's a wake-up call for all of us!

 
At July 6, 2011 at 3:19 AM , Blogger Ann said...

Regular checks, the only way to be sure.

 
At July 6, 2011 at 4:43 AM , Blogger Martin @ Hipertension said...

There are many sign of high blood pressure, stress, headaches, Those who's diets are high in salt, caffeine and alcoholic beverages. Most people with hypertension experience no symptoms at all. This is an important reason to have your blood pressure checked regularly.

- Martin, Hipertension, Advocator

 
At July 6, 2011 at 5:35 AM , Blogger Ellen Brickley said...

Thanks for this post, it's so important to be aware of blood pressure. My mother was diagnosed in her 40s and with the help of medication has been fine ever since - it's worth asking your doctor to take two minutes to check.

 
At July 6, 2011 at 1:52 PM , Blogger Betty W said...

Good myth to kill. It´s so true. I never realized I had high blood pressure until I was pregnant. Haven´t been off med´s since.

 
At July 6, 2011 at 4:30 PM , Blogger Ivy Bliss said...

I am not a nurse. I am not a doctor. Nor do I have any desire to be either one.
I am, however, always shocked at how many people seem to think they are. The only thing I know for sure is that I can take my pulse. But only if I count to six seconds. Because multiplying by ten leaves a lot less room for error than muliplying by say, 4 or 6 or whatever...
~Ivy
www.ivygrowsinthekitchen.blogspot.com

 
At July 8, 2011 at 4:56 PM , Blogger Ann Jones said...

My mom had very high blood pressure when I was little and was on meds. Great blog post! New follower from the fancy friday blog hop, have a great weekend! You can find me at
http://wvfrugal-wvsaver.blogspot.com

 
At July 10, 2011 at 2:54 PM , Blogger c.w.frosting said...

Thanks for visiting my blog! I'm a med student (the extra person who never knows where to stand in the OR). This is a really important point on BP. Thanks for sharing!

-caroline @ c.w.frosting

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home