This Page

has been moved to new address

Eating a Healthy Diet

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Older Mommy Still Yummy: Eating a Healthy Diet

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Eating a Healthy Diet

Eating a healthy diet is important for people of all ages and is a critical factor in determining how we look and feel.   However, as we age our dietary requirements change and we often require fewer calories but just as many, if not more, of the same nutrients.  (Ex. Calcium & Vitamin D)
So, how do we know we are achieving our satisfactory daily nutrition? Well, because “I am Canadian” I will refer to Canada’s food Guide.  (I’m sure most other countries have their own recommendations and  it would be interesting to know the similarities and differences)
I’ll mention the highlights below and leave a link to the web site,  where you can have a close look and download or order your own copy of the guide.
Nutritionally speaking women require the following number of servings daily –
                                                            Ages                       # of servings
Fruits and Vegetables                  19 – 50                     7-8     
                                                            51+                           7
Grain Products                               19 - 50                       6-7  
                                                            51+                            6
Milk and Alternatives                   19 - 50                       2
                                                            51+                            3
Meat and Alternatives                 19 - 50                        2
                                                            51+                             2

This site outlines the guide’s background, how to choose foods, serving sizes and food guide basics, how to obtain your copy of the guide and much, much more....
(I also referenced the above site for the information contained in this post)

Monica
Disclaimer -The material provided on this site is designed for information and educational purposes only. The materials are not intended to be a self diagnostic and/or self treatment tool. I encourage you to use this information as a tool for discussing your condition with your health practitioner.

Labels:

25 Comments:

At March 23, 2011 at 1:47 AM , Blogger Lana D said...

The USDA recently revised it's food guide into a fancy schmancy Pyramid. I think they've also made some changes to the amounts recommended daily. I like that they have used an actual measurement (2 1/2 Cups of veggies, 3 Cups of milk) rather than the ambiguous "serving" because, really, who the heck knows what a "serving" really is!

Here's a link to the US Food Guide.

http://www.mypyramid.gov/downloads/MiniPoster.pdf

 
At March 23, 2011 at 5:47 AM , Blogger Romina said...

Hi. Thanks for stopping by; following you back. I am loving your health posts - they speak to the public health advocate in me. I'm looking forward to reading more of them, as well as the living green tips. Living green is really a lot easier than people think it is...but we both know behavior change isn't ;).

 
At March 23, 2011 at 7:16 AM , Blogger Val said...

Another fabulous bit of posting, Monica. Just hit 45 a few months ago, and finding after wandering Europe and putting every piece of cheese, pork, pastry into my mouth I came across left me feeling lethargic and with the dreaded muffin top when I returned to the states. The answer? What you wrote above - green leafy stuff, kale - veggies 7-9 of them a day, brown rice, whole grains, less dairy, meat, sugar, and processed foods. Almond milk makes great lattes (hello calcium!) and agave is my sweetener of choice. Add that to pilates & yoga, and have found SO much more energy, less pasty complexion, ciao muffin top and bring on the 50s. Amazing how much WHAT we put into our bodies affects every aspect of our health. Cheers, lady!

 
At March 23, 2011 at 7:37 AM , Blogger Robin said...

Great site and the name itself is just the best, LOL! Following you back - I'm Robin from Soggy Bottoms Baby Duds. Do you have a fan FB page? I recently went to the dark side and now have one! http://www.facebook.com/pages/Soggy-Bottoms-Baby-Duds/134095519958927 Check it out!

 
At March 23, 2011 at 7:40 AM , Blogger Kara said...

Love your blog, especially the name:). Thanks for sharing all this great information. I'm glad you found me so I could find you!

 
At March 23, 2011 at 8:45 AM , Blogger Menopausal New Mom said...

Okay, the name of your blog is brilliant! Love it! So happy you found me so I could follow you back, cute retro wallpaper too. Such a cute blog!

 
At March 23, 2011 at 1:38 PM , Blogger Nicole said...

That's very informative, thanks!

 
At March 23, 2011 at 2:25 PM , Blogger Mimis Lootbags said...

thanks for the info...i'm following u back from 'a mom helping moms'. btw,i went to UNB at fredericton, and was there for 31/2 yrs-loved it! what part of NB are you from?

 
At March 23, 2011 at 2:38 PM , Blogger Stacey said...

Great info - look forward to more posts!

I am following you through GFC now :)

 
At March 23, 2011 at 3:09 PM , Blogger Cinny said...

Great info! Thanks for stopping by and following. I'm now following back.

 
At March 23, 2011 at 4:53 PM , Blogger XLMIC said...

Also agreeing that this is some great info! And like a previous commenter, I now need to avoid some stuff because it just makes me feel "wrong"... mine are wheat and dairy... such a bummer :(

 
At March 23, 2011 at 6:23 PM , Blogger Amanda Tempel said...

Thanks for following me! :)

I am now following you back.

Amanda T
http://ratsandmore.com

 
At March 23, 2011 at 8:08 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I am a new follower from the Follow me I am canadian blog hop!
http://theknitwitbyshair.blogspot.com

 
At March 23, 2011 at 8:36 PM , Blogger milliemorganmedia said...

Following you back :) Thanks for taking interest in my blog. I look forward to reading more of your posts. Thanks again!

 
At March 23, 2011 at 10:08 PM , Blogger Elle said...

That's a good post..but now I have to work on my veggies. Then again I could just pretend I didn't read that :p

I love the colors here. All those shades of orange. That just feels happy.
Following back. Simple Wyrdings

 
At March 24, 2011 at 1:17 PM , Blogger Tootsie said...

I need to try to eat better...always in such a hurry...my kids eat great...its me that doesn't...lol
I am the newest follower on your blog!

 
At March 24, 2011 at 3:18 PM , Blogger Debi Gerhart said...

Following you through Fab Friends. Stop on by and say hi, http://thespringmount6pack.com

 
At March 24, 2011 at 4:14 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Hi, I am your latest follower from Thurdays blog hop. You have an interesting blog, hope you come and visit mine.

 
At March 25, 2011 at 1:24 PM , Blogger Ana V said...

Great blog, great tips! Looking forward to more.
New follower from Follow Friday 40 and over!
http://pink-at-heart.blogspot.com

 
At March 25, 2011 at 11:46 PM , Blogger Bloggerman said...

Fruits and vegetable are my number one food when it comes to good health.

By the way, I've just read your comment on my blog, blogirature.com. Thanks for that. Your blog is now on my bookmark list. Cheers! :-)

 
At March 26, 2011 at 1:22 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really need to work on my diet. It is definitely not the way it should be. I need to cut out a lot of fat and sugars.

 
At March 26, 2011 at 4:42 PM , Blogger The Rantings of a Drama Queen's Mum said...

I really need to start eating healthier. Stopping by from Comment Love Weekend.

 
At March 27, 2011 at 12:22 AM , Blogger Katrina said...

Hey there, Older Mommy Still Yummy! I love that name! I'm an older mommy,too, and you know what? We older mommies rock, don't we?!! Yes, we do!

This post has excellent information. Now that I'm in my 40's, I need to really pay attention to what I'm eating. My entire life I have been very thin naturally, and that got me into bad habits, because no matter what I'd eat, I would not gain weight. Well, let me tell you that it has all caught up to me now! LOL I am not used to having to pass up desserts or limit my amount of food, so this has really been quite a change for me. I had my last baby at 39, and I still have not been able to shed that extra baby weight. I have nine children, and never before did I ever have to "work" at losing the baby weight. It just slowly came off within that first 6 months post partum. But now? Well, I'm still waiting for it to come off. But it seems as if I actually have to do something to get it off. Like exercise and eat healthier! LOL

I am a new follower, and I know your blog is really going to help me in quite a few ways. Thanks for stopping by my blog:)

Katrina in CA, USA
www.theyallcallmemom.com

 
At March 28, 2011 at 3:10 AM , Blogger Irish Italian Blessings said...

I love this! I think it's SO important to remind people what is appropriate to be eating. I love the idea of your blog, I definitely think you've found a great niche here! Following you back now!

 
At March 28, 2011 at 9:10 AM , Blogger Crystal said...

thanks for dropping by and entering my blog hop! Following back, have a wonderful week

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home