This Page

has been moved to new address

Living Green, One Tip at a Time - (a weekly feature)

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Older Mommy Still Yummy: Living Green, One Tip at a Time - (a weekly feature)

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Living Green, One Tip at a Time - (a weekly feature)

# 4 Reduce-Reuse-Recycle

Part 1 - Reduce

The critical first step of waste prevention has been overshadowed by a focus on recycling. Please help to promote a greater awareness of the importance of the "Reduce" part of the Reduce-Reuse-Recycle mantra.

  • Simplify: Simplify your life as much as possible. Only keep belongings that you use/enjoy on a regular basis.  By making the effort to reduce what you own, you will naturally purchase less/create less waste in the future.
  • Reduce Purchases: In general, think before you buy any product - do you really need it? How did the production of this product impact the environment and what further impacts will there be with the disposal of the product (and associated packaging materials)?
  • Replace Disposables: Wherever possible, replace disposable products with reusable ones (i.e., razor, food storage, batteries, ink cartridges (buy refill ink), coffee filters, furnace or air conditioner filters, etc.).
  • Buy Used: Buy used products whenever possible. Some sources:
                            - local thrift stores 
                            - Kijiji  http://www.kijiji.ca/
                            - eBay  http://www.ebay.ca/
                            - Craigslist  http://geo.craigslist.org/iso/ca
                            - Amazon  http://www.amazon.ca/
                            - Freecycle  http://www.freecycle.org/
                            - local newspaper listings
                            - local garage sales
                            - local used furniture stores
                            - local consignment stores

  • Borrow From Friends: If you only need something temporarily, ask if a friend or neighbor would loan it to you. 
  • Share With Friends: Share things like books, magazines, movies, games, and newspapers between friends and neighbors.

...There is a lot of information on this topic and the post is getting very long, so I'll continue it next Saturday!!

Much of the information contained in this post was obtained, with permission, from the following site -

http://www.globalstewards.org/ecotips.htm#reduce


Monica

Labels:

26 Comments:

At March 12, 2011 at 10:32 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Monica! These are some really great tips. I need to work harder at being green! Thank you for stopping by and visiting my blog. I am your newest follower. Have an excellent weekend!

Vickie
http://victoriasvoice44.blogspot.com

 
At March 12, 2011 at 11:19 AM , Blogger Canadian Coupon Mom said...

Hi Monica! Great tips I love buying on ebay and kijiji..

I'm stopping by from the Blog Entourage. You can find me at http://canadiancouponmom.blogspot.com/

 
At March 12, 2011 at 11:29 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Those are great tips. I know it sometimes seems overwhelming.. this makes it more manageable.

I'm a new follower from the Crazed Fan Blog Hop!

Sarah
Uberlibrariana

 
At March 12, 2011 at 11:48 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Monica! Great site! Thanks for the follow from the weekend blog hop. I'm following you back!

Jen
www.savingandbleedinggreen.blogspot.com

 
At March 12, 2011 at 11:54 AM , Blogger Kelli Guilbeau said...

I'm following you, won't you follow me :) @ www.letsstartsavingnow.com. I love these blog hops, you always find wonderful blogs.

 
At March 12, 2011 at 12:11 PM , Blogger Jenn@Sweet T Makes Three said...

Thank you for the tips! I'm all about simplicity and reducing waste.
New blog hop follower
Sweet T Makes Three

 
At March 12, 2011 at 12:54 PM , Blogger Elizabeth said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog yesterday! I'm your newest follower.

Beth

 
At March 12, 2011 at 2:46 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks, that is a nice quick reference for being green. Thank you also for stopping by and following my blog. I am here returning the favor.


Crystal

 
At March 12, 2011 at 2:48 PM , Blogger Greenacremama said...

Great blog Monica!...I'm following you back on goggle and twitter too : )

 
At March 12, 2011 at 3:33 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Such great advice. We hear so much about recycling... but not about wastefulness. Excellent post.

Thank you for stopping by my Design blog today. I am so happy to have met you. Can't wait to see what else you have to share.

 
At March 12, 2011 at 3:55 PM , Blogger Groovy Baby Blog said...

Love your informative Blog! Following!
Angela I.
http://Groovybabyblog.blogspot.com

 
At March 12, 2011 at 6:44 PM , Blogger XLMIC said...

awesome tips!

 
At March 12, 2011 at 11:52 PM , Blogger mrs.shopper said...

Another Canadian blogger-- new gfc follower. I'm at http://simplyshopandsave.ca

 
At March 13, 2011 at 3:02 AM , Blogger Beautifully Forgiven, Kortney said...

Hi Monica! Great tips! Thanks for linking back to my blog on your Stylish Blogger Award!! Have a great weekend!
~Kortney

 
At March 13, 2011 at 5:19 AM , Blogger Red Nomad OZ said...

Hey, great tips! I also LOOOOVE the local library where I can borrow books/mags for free! If I love a book/mag THAT much I buy it (secondhand)! But don't often do this - there are so many more to borrow that I can't keep up!!

Have a great weekend!

 
At March 13, 2011 at 9:51 AM , Blogger Kathy said...

Great tips...we all think about recycling,(well me anyway)..but sometimes not so much about reducing!! Thanks for the reminders!!

 
At March 13, 2011 at 7:17 PM , Blogger Mrs. No-No said...

Thanks for visiting "Mrs. No-No Knows"! I am now following you back! :) Hope you will stop back often and put in your two cents.
Carla aka Mrs. No-No
Mrs. No-No Knows

 
At March 13, 2011 at 11:38 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

What great tips!

Thanks for linking up and for following me! Glad you put our button up too! Stopping by to return the follow

 
At March 14, 2011 at 11:32 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good advice!
Thank you for following me, and I am following you back! I'm searching for a new fiction title, so if you have one, please let me hear it!

 
At March 15, 2011 at 1:17 AM , Blogger Romina Garcia said...

Great tips!
Awesome blog!!
I'm your latest follower on GFC!
Following you from the hop :-)
You can reach me at:
http://rominagarciamartyrhood.blogspot.com/

 
At March 15, 2011 at 8:59 AM , Blogger Divine RC said...

Hello dear,

Thanks a lot for following my blog. I am returning the love. Keep your great posts coming! Take care!

divine's memoirs
the journalistic view
giveaways and bloghops

 
At March 15, 2011 at 1:08 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I could do more of those ideas! Going to try harder..following you back!
Thanks!

 
At March 17, 2011 at 8:56 AM , Blogger ARK said...

GREAT list! Craigslist and the curb are two of my favs!

 
At March 17, 2011 at 1:00 PM , Blogger Cherished Handmade Treasures said...

Great tips, wonderful blog. Thanks for sharing. My local library is one of my fav places to hang out. Thanks for stopping by my site. I hope you'll come back again. Following you back. http://cherishedhandmadetreasures.blogspot.com/

 
At March 17, 2011 at 4:04 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great article!! thanks for following, looking forward to following your site as well!!

~ Lorna

lifeinalldirections.blogspot.com

 
At March 28, 2011 at 5:30 PM , Blogger SJ @ Homemaker On A Dime said...

Thank you for the tips! So happy to find another blogger involved with being green. I've been a follower already so thanks for following me, too.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home