This Page

has been moved to new address

"No Fail" Pie Crust

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Older Mommy Still Yummy: "No Fail" Pie Crust

Thursday, October 20, 2011

"No Fail" Pie Crust

   Lately, I haven't been making as many pies as I once did.  Probably related to two things, first, I'm certainly more health conscious than I was 20 years ago.  And,  lets face it, with a cup of shortening/butter/lard in one double crust pie, it doesn't matter if the filling is all carrots, quinoa and celery, it could never be considered a health food. 
   However, sometimes healthy just isn't the priority...comfy and homey is, and a pie certainly fits that criteria. 
  Secondly, now that I'm a little "older", the fat and calories from a pie doesn't fall off like it used to.  Now it hangs on tightly and snuggles into my hips and thighs!
   Well, on Sunday I was thinking all comfy and homey.  I had a few different varieties of apples that needed to be used, so I thought, why not.  This is the result -

    I had never done this before, guess I was in a bit of a rebellious mood, and in the filling I substituted brown sugar for white. 
   Because of the mix of apples and tart/sweetness I put in about 1/2 cup and also added nutmeg, cinnamon and some flour.  
   The filling was delicious!!  I will never again use white sugar in an apple pie and I can't believe I had never tried this before..
    I've been using this pie crust recipe for years and years and it has never failed.  However, you need to handle it very gently, don't overwork and keep your work surface lightly floured.  Chill completed pie thoroughly before baking.

No Fail Pie Crust

2 cups flour
3/4 tsp. salt
1 cup shortening/ butter or lard  
(I usually use vegetable shortening or butter)

1 egg
2 Tbsp. "ice" water 
(I actually float a couple ice cubes in a little bowl of cold water and use that water in pie the crust)
1 Tbsp.white vinegar

   Combine flour and salt in a large bowl.  Cut shortening/butter/lard into flour,  until mixture is uniform and resembles peas in size.
   In a measuring cup or small bowl and using a fork, beat egg.  Add ice water and vinegar.  Beat with fork to combine.  Pour evenly over flour mixture and stir gently with a fork until mixture is all moistened.

Makes 2- 9" pie crusts 
Enjoy and let me know if you have any questions.


Monica

Labels: , , , ,

13 Comments:

At October 20, 2011 at 6:01 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Because I am anything but a baker, and have almost zero patience, my "no fail" pie crust uses vegetable oil. It's easy. The only stipulation is rolling the crust out between two sheets of wax paper.

 
At October 20, 2011 at 8:31 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I love pie! It's so easy to make and will work no matter what, how, if it works. My kind of kitchen creation.
Rosemary

 
At October 20, 2011 at 9:59 PM , Blogger Kathy said...

I have lots of apples to use, or freeze, too. What a better way to enjoy them, but in a home made pie. I love the great photo angle, too.

 
At October 21, 2011 at 12:12 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I'm going to have to try this. I fail at making pie crust. My poor pie-loving husband...

I found you on the Lots of Lovin' Weekend Blog Hop! I'm your newest follower! I hope you will come check me out!! www.whenwereathome.blogspot.com

 
At October 21, 2011 at 3:13 AM , Blogger Pondside said...

I love pie, but don't make it often as I use lard and it might as well be slathered on my hips!

 
At October 21, 2011 at 9:29 AM , Blogger Angela G. Gentile said...

Great post!

 
At October 21, 2011 at 11:27 AM , Blogger Steph said...

Hi Monica, thanks for stopping by my blog. Following you back. This pie looks delicious! I rarely make pies because of the crust... it always seems so complicated! I'm not very patient when it comes to baking or cooking. I always need instant gratification... shilling the pie may do me in! But I will give this a try. :) Thank you for sharing your recipe. Does it taste sweeter with brown sugar? I never know when brown sugar is a better substitute. I just always have both on hand in case one is needed over the other. Maybe I need to try it both ways? Have a great day,
Steph
www.pendantsbysteph.blogspot.com

 
At October 21, 2011 at 2:02 PM , Blogger Henrietta said...

Yum! I often substitute brown sugar for white when baking, the brown seems to give everything more depth! I love Pie!

 
At October 21, 2011 at 3:18 PM , Blogger Grandma Bonnie said...

You pie sounds like a winner. I will have to try it this weekend since I have a basket of apples waiting to be used. New follower from the sit and relax weekend hop.

 
At October 21, 2011 at 6:12 PM , Blogger Jessica Rose said...

Hi, coming over from FNF Blog Hop!!! I love your blog and am now following via GFC!!

Jessica Rose - Beauty and The Bookaholic
http://jessgal0430.blogspot.com

 
At October 22, 2011 at 1:04 PM , Blogger Teena in Toronto said...

Would you believe I've never made a pie?!

 
At October 23, 2011 at 11:34 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes... it's the perfect time for apple pie. I made one the other day. :)

 
At October 24, 2011 at 10:27 PM , Blogger Becky McNeer said...

oh my this looks perfect! cannot wait to give it a try!
Not Your Ordinary Agent
Not Your Ordinary Recipes
Clean Gal

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home